Monday, March 21, 2011

Celebrating Nowrooz the UL Way

You've seen me post ideas for a variety of different holidays, but this one marks a first for Please Use Your Words: a UL idea for Nowrooz.
Nowrooz, which literally means "new day," is the Persian New Year, celebrated on the first day of spring (the perfect time to celebrate a new year, in my opinion). In Persian households throughout the world, you'll see a table set with a number of traditional items. The "haft seen" is not unlike a Christmas tree in that every family has one, each is unique and all are beautiful. Unfortunately, this lovely tradition has fallen by the wayside in my own home, having fallen in priority below endless homework, baseball practice and the rush of daily life (plus, where am I going to find a clear surface to adorn?). This year, I was inspired to make up a vinyl version which I quite like. Think about it: I can use it year after year, nothing rots or gets smelly, and no messy egg dying.
I'd love to see how you use Uppercase Living in your holiday celebrations, so share your photos and ideas with me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin