Friday, December 2, 2011

Keep Calm and Uppercase

It all started with King George. In 1939, prior to the outbreak of World War II, his Ministry of Information commissioned the now-ubiquitous "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster as a message to motivate and reassure the British population. Rediscovered in 2000, the poster has taken on a new life and you can now find it on socks, tins, stationary and so much more, with dozens of variations.

When the new Uppercase Living catalog was unveiled this past summer, I was thrilled to see the original "Keep Calm and Carry On" included. My customers were, too, and have enjoyed selecting this expression in different sizes and colors to fit their decor. Of course, it doesn't just have to go in your home. Personally, I think every car on the Los Angeles freeways needs one for its back window.

Since the beauty of Uppercase Living is our endless options for customization, it wasn't too long before I started coming up with other "Keep Calm" designs. First, this one for Halloween, which fit in perfectly with my friend JoAnne's decor.
After that, I decided to have some fun with Thanksgiving. It wasn't long before I turned "Keep Calm And Give Thanks" to "Keep Calm And Eat Pie." At the same time, I realized that there are some sentiments that aren't limited to just the holidays. Thus were born "Keep Calm And Drink Coffee" and its big sister, "Keep Calm And Drink Wine" (could tequila be far behind?).

 
Before long, it was time to start thinking about the holiday season. I had a couple ideas of my own, such as
 
and
 but JoAnne insisted on
Of course, I couldn't forget Hanukkah, so I also designed

And then when the snow started to fall on the East Coast and Midwest, I realized that people might get into somewhat of a panic. To reassure them, I created


Obviously, the possibilities are endless. As I thought about all of the different embellishments Uppercase Living offers, I realized what a great addition these signs would be in sorority and fraternity houses. We have all of the Greek letters and over 50 colors to choose from. So something like this design is quite easy to create.

And so is a design to share your team spirit:


Wouldn't that be great for tailgating?

All of the designs shown here are sized to fit a 16x20 canvas (available inexpensively in most craft stores) that can be painted in any color. Of course, they can also be applied to the wall, door, cars, etc. Because they are custom designs, the size is completely flexible. In this size, most designs are under $30.

Whether it's a reminder to yourself to keep calm, or a custom gift for someone else, this is one expression that will be fun to have around. Contact me so I can create the perfect "Keep Calm" for you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin